Friday, July 8, 2011

#10 TOP WRITING SECRETS BY KAREN TYRRELL

How to Write a Successful Story using my #10 TOP WRITING Secrets


Do you want a story that connects with the reader? Leaving them begging for more? A story that is publishable and in big demand? … Then follow my #10 Secrets for a successful story.















Image Danilo Rizzuti/FreeDigitalPhotosnet
Image Danilo Rizzuti/FreeDigitalPhotosnet














My #10 Top Writing Secrets
Create a captivating story and let the reader know from the beginning what the premise is
Start your story at a dramatic pivotal entry point into the plot
Compel your reader to care deeply about the main character from the very start
Express your main characters hopes and motivations early on in your story. What does your main character really want? What do they fear?
Connect the reader emotionally to the main POV character using sharp dialogue, personal thoughts and emotive body language
Orientate and anchor each new scene with SHOWING detail so the reader knows exactly where and when they are. Illustrate your scenes in the most cinematic way possible … Utilize the five senses
Include only scenes and characters which push the story forward
Amp your nouns and verbs to the max. Create strong vocabulary and images that project your story forward
Challenge your character to a series conflicts and a brick wall trials which they fail to achieve, until the final climax
Share your story with your writing buddies, let them critique it and follow the advice that resonates within you
Where did I learn the craft of story making?
In my beginner days, award-winning authors Anita Bell and Katherine Howell revealed their secrets in one-to-one private consultations. Then I completed two six month writing courses with the Queensland Writers Centre … the Year of the Edit with Kim Wilkins and the Short Story Development series with Kate Eltham. Editors Selena Hanet-Hutchins and Sally Odgers shared their editing and writing expertise with me.
Last year I won a mentorship with the Society of Editors QLD. Generous publishers have offered personalized detailed feedback … I have much to be grateful for :)

Why reveal my secrets today?

This week I critiqued two writing buddies stories, sharing my writing knowledge with them. We all need a critique buddy or two. We cannot see flaws in our own writing as we’re much too close.
This Saturday, I in turn will hear from members of one of my writing groups as they deliver critiques on my first two chapters. My only desire is to remain open-minded, so I can reap the benefits of their constructive feedback.
I’m on a HUGE learning curve with my writing … I’ll continue to learn, fine tune and expand my writing skills and ONLY my Writing Colleagues can HELP ME !!
How has a writing course, an editor or critique buddy helped to improve your writing?
What VIP writing lessons have you learned along the way as a writer?
Did you like this? Share it:

No comments:

Post a Comment